Friday, June 23, 2006

Valley Forge National Park



I made a wrong turn the other day while driving and ended up in Valley Forge Park. It was a beautiful summer day and I was instantly rushed with some memories long forgotten and a great sense of nostalgia. Most of us who have lived here all our lives forget the meaning behind this historic landmark. (It was the site of the headquarters of the Continental Army (under George Washington) during the American Revolution.) We all just remember childhood recreational activities including family picnics, sledding, kite flying and biking.
It’s probably been twenty years since I’ve been to Valley Forge Park, but I’m planning to take my family there three times this year. Summer, Fall and Winter. The memories that I had are about to be shared my kids and then we’ll make new ones. Would anyone care to share your favorite memory?

4 comments:

U said...

Making out with Laurie in the back seat of my VW bug... yeah, I love Valley forge. Oh yeah, also under 2 huge oak trees over looking Washington's Headquarters. Final memory: tobogganing down the hills after a huge snow storm.

Ron said...

Is that the same park that we all used to go to as los jovenes de “La Igelsia De Dios Roca De Salvacio”? I have vague memories of all the youth group (ladies in denim skirts….of course) gathering and playing games at a big park. I’m not sure if it was Valley Forge or Fort Washington park.

I also remember all of us going to a Creation music festival. I couldn’t begin to guess the year.

My thoughts then take me to “Everything’s Alright” coffee house. What a great vision for a youth ministry! Remember the two locations: 1. Walnut Street Apartment 2. Main & Wood Street (old Bushido Karate Studio). Great memories!

Thomas Rolon said...

For me it’s definitely “Roca de Salvation” church picnics. Years later I found out my wife’s church was having their picnic at the same park and at the same time.

Dave Cardona said...

Valley Forge... hhhmmm... isn't that where we egged Maureen's father's car? No, that was second st... isn't that where Charlie, our neighbor told us how he lost his nuts in the war? No, that was second st... Isn't that where we played the kissing game with the neighborhood girls... No, that was second st... Isn't that where we hid up in the rafters of the garage to skip school? No, that was second st... Yes, Valley Forge is a great place to have picnics!