Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Two Wheels

I have always had a love for vehicles with two wheels. My first bike was given to me by Papa Oro. I remember it was small and red. As I grew and moved on to other bikes my love of bicycles grew as well. We use to cannibalize old bikes and reassemble them in our garage. Some of my fondest memories were taking long bike rides all over Lansdale with my brothers and friends like Vince and Bob It seemed like such a big place way back then. A different place too. We use take these long trips, be out for hours at a time unsupervised. You can't do that now. Times are different.

And we would do some crazy shinola too! We use to race toward these homemade ramps that would throw us high in the air and come down with a bang. On concrete. And no helmets. X games had nothin' on us. And don't get me started on helmets. Helmets were for... well, back then even girls didn't wear helmets. I still have to stifle a laugh when I see grown men riding bikes with a helmet on. Dude. It's a bike.

I got my first ten speed when I was 16. I use to sneak out of the house at midnight and ride over to Blue Eyes' house for some smoochy-smoochy. Good times. This was about the time I started hankerin' for a motorcycle. Mom and Pop say "don't even think about it". Shinola.

Then I got married and Blue Eyes says "don't even think about it". Shazbot.
Then I turned 40 something and I says " Honey, I love you but I'm getting a motorcycle".
SCHWING.



There's just something about being outside on two wheels and have the wind blowin' in your face. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. A few weeks ago I taught the little guy how to ride his bike. He's had it for almost a year but he never was interested until I was in need of a riding partner. I had him riding in one day. He'll be 7 in May.
7!
The years... don't they go by in a blink?


Link: sevenload.com

1 comment:

Ron said...

Way to go grandpop.

I'm looking forward to be a fun grandpop too!

Can't wait to take my grandchild for a motorcycle ride. Just don't tell mom, or she'll whip my culo!