Saturday, February 13, 2010

We are the World



Wow. Twenty-five years. I remember being at my girlfriend’s house when Entertainment Tonight announced that they would be airing the original for the first time on national television. Her sisters, some ten years younger than me, kept asking “who’s that?” as Bob Dylan, Al Jarreau and others unknown to their generation appeared on the screen. Now, twenty-five years later, I’m watching today’s music superstars and asking myself “who’s that?”

Like the original airing the “who” is not nearly as important as the “why”. Artist unselfishly giving of their time and talent for a greater cause. Part of me tried to be cynical and criticize the solo choices and wardrobe decisions but at the end I realized that I am in no position to judge their motives. I simply pray that in the end, the right people benefit. God bless the people of Haiti and anyone trying to help them.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Who are you. and what did you do to my cynical brother????