Sunday, March 05, 2006

Cousin Reunion

Hola Primos,

As we continue our talks about the possibility of a “cousin” reunion for the week of July 9th, here’s my understanding of the status of our extended family.

Ulysses Jr.-yes
Dave-I don’t know
Chicky-I don’t know
Jim-no
Tom-Probably
Ron-yes
Patti-no
Jeannie-yes
Tony-yes
Carlos-no
Miriam-no
Chati-don’t hold your breath
Nair-I don’t know
Millie-I don’t know
Gringy-yes
Sammy-of course!
(6/16 total so far)

Ok, here’s my suggestion. Please hear me out!

Most of the families that are not attending are because of reasons such as: other family plans and commitments, money, uncertainly of lodging, bad time etc.

I do not think our spouses and kids would have an enjoyable time sitting around Mama Con’s house in San Sebastian reminiscing of when we were kids and catching up on each others lives. We (the cousins) however, would probably love to just simply being in the presence of each other for the first time since, well, probably EVER! Can you imagine, all of us together!

I would like to suggestion that we shorten the time to 3-4 days (including 2 weekend days so it would only be 2 missed work days) and truly make this a “cousin” reunion. We could go individually( no spouses, no kids). We could get 2 large rooms or a suite. Yeap, one for the men and one for the ladies. We could stay either in San Sebastian or even in San Juan. We could rent a fifteen passenger van for all of us to travel and stay together. I’m certain that the men would have no problem cramming 7-10 of us in a room; same goes for the ladies. Even if the place was $200 a night between all of us, well, it would be quite reasonable.

I certainly do not mean to offend any spouses or any of the children by excluding them. I am just certain that including entire families will be such a large task, that it will in turn cancel our plans for this event and it just won’t ever happen. I think this would be a reasonable and “do-able” alternative before deciding to simply cancel the event.


Please think about it and talk to your families about this proposal. Let me know your thoughts.

I want to encourage everyone to utilize that blog that Jr. set up for us. It’s a great way to stay connected.

I hope more than anything that we can make this reunion happen! I truly think it’s a once in a lifetime chance.

Love you all,
Ron

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ron's idea. If the cousin's could get together for a shorter time, it could work.

However, we must remember that this is about people not location. In other words, it's about family, not San Sebastian. If PR doesn't work then we should consider a new date in PA. Most cousins live in PA. And most of us have young children that cannot contribute. It will be expensive for most ($2,000 to $3000 per family in P.R)
PA would be a fraction of this for most.

My humble opinion.
Tony

U said...

Ron's suggestion is fine with me. 3-4 days is fine. Without kids and spouses is fine too. Laurie and I are probably in best situation cause our kids are grown so we would both probably go. If the spouses and kids would like to join us, I agree that PR might be a bit too expensive. However, spending 3-4 days in PA in July does not appeal to me. I can just see it now: 3-4 days of rain :-(

Maybe somewhere between here and there?

Anonymous said...

Hey! Hey!
Don't count me out yet!!!

Ron said...

Someone gave me a great idea worth sharing:

Remember when we were kids and we would all sit on the floor and watch films of our families?

Well, fast forward to the technology of 2006. We could all bring a power point presentation of our families to PR. It would include pictures of our spouses, our kids, grandkids, our homes, vacations, fun stuff or anything else we wanted to share. We could all take turns presenting to the group. This would be more feasible than passing around pictures or repeating the same story to 10 different people. That way, anyone who could not join us in PR could submit a presentation on a CD and we could all view it and get an update on their family.

I loved this idea!!

Anonymous said...

Ron's idea seems reasonable to me, however we may need to reconsider the idea of 7 ladies sharing one bathroom (haha).

Right now I am not sure of my availability as my travel is piling up for work right now. I'll need exact dates to work around so are we looking at July 9-11?

U said...

Ron: love your idea. I might be able to provide a laptop and projector.
Millie: Yes, that's the date but since no one's got a ticket yet it's kind of loose right now. 9-11, 8-11, 9-13...not sure but it'll be that week of the 9th.

Anonymous said...

Millie,

It's great to hear from you. I would love to see you there!

I'd like to suggest as dates to consider: Arrive anytime on Saturday, July 8th and stay through Tuesday, July 11th.

Anonymous said...

Hey all,

As for me and my family, it would be tough for me to make it to PR. I want to go real bad, but all my spare time is for spending with my boys. In July, they come to Fla. for the summer.

Tony's idea about Pa in the fall, that would work for me because the boys would be already in PA.

It would be great if we all could get together in PR on the farm. But right now, I'm not in the position to do that. About the powerpoint presentation, that would be cool as long as we who do make it get a copy for our homes.

Love you all.

E

Ron said...

Well, in a perfect world free of financial limitations, a family reunion would indeed consist of entire families (spouses, children and even pets). However, since the reality of financial limitations exists for most of us, I was simply offering an alternative to the cousin reunion. I meant no offence and certainly did not suggest that spouses and kids were not “part of the family”.