Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm Back

It was a great trip as always. I'll give you more once I get settled in.
I came across this great poem while in Mexico. It was written by a homeless woman who turned to a country vicar (an English priest) for help. Perhaps he was busy and perhaps he felt helpless but he promised to pray for her. The woman later wrote this poem:

I was hungry,
and you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger.


I was imprisoned,
and you crept quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.


I was naked,
and in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.


I was sick,
and you knelt and thanked God for your health.


I was homeless,
and you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God.


I was lonely,
and you left me alone to pray for me.


You seem so holy, so close to God
but I am still very hungry - and lonely - and cold.


Food for thought...

1 comment:

Thomas Rolon said...

Welcome back. Let's hear some more about Mexico. Also, good poem. I forward it to some friends of mine involved in a ministry to incarcerated women.