Sunday, June 24, 2007

U2



I've never been an over-the-top fan of U2 but I've always loved their music. As Blue Eyes and I were getting ready to check our library books out this afternoon, this book caught my eye. I brought it home just in case the other 3 didn't work out.

Many of you know how much I love music so it should be no surprise that I enjoy reading about the ones who sing to us. I've read Jackson Browne's story, Marvin Gaye's biography , various Beatles biographies, the Eagle's autobiography and others.

I sat down this evening and started to read U2 By U2 and was immediately hooked. The only problem is the size and weight of the book. It's big enough to choke a mule. It's 12 and a half by 10, 352 pages, and weighs over 5 pounds. When I read I typically go through a series of body contortions trying to get comfortable. Sometimes I read laying down on one side then switch to the other. I'll sit, stand and sometimes I'll lay flat on my back and hold the book at arms length above me (a necessity at my age) . That's ok with a paperback but with this anvil of a book it can be dangerous. It slipped out of my hands and knocked me out cold. Blues Eyes walked in and thought I had fallen asleep. Sweet wife that she is, she drew the curtains and let me sleep for a while. After I regained consciousness, I returned to my reading.

Bono has this brilliant (my favorite word lately) quote at the beginning of the book:

I have heard of people having life-changing , miraculous turn-arounds, people set free from addiction after a single prayer... But it was not like that for me. For all that 'I am lost, I am found', it is probably more accurate to say 'I was really lost, I'm a little less so at the moment.' And then a little less and a little less again. That to me is the spiritual life. The slow reworking and rebooting of a computer at regular intervals, reading the small print of the service manual. It has slowly rebuilt me in a better image. It has taken years, though, and it is not over yet.

Can you better explain the Biblical doctrine of sanctification with a little geek-speak thrown in for good measure? I believe the man understands it.

Well, pass me the service manual and press Control-Alt-Delete.
I think I'm in need of a re-boot.
I'll keep you up to date as I work my way through this anchor.

5 comments:

patti said...

I got E that book for Christmas...he is a HUGE U2 fan. And yes...Bono is amazingly dead on with his theology...more so than myself and most people I know as well. My fave is Larry though. I was in love with him all through high school and college. However one cannot dispute the charm of Adam or the Edge you know! Hey E was on you tube two nights ago and said he found a great interview wtih Bono and the pastor of Willow Creek in Chicago on there. He said it was amazing. Enjoy! MUAH! xoxo

Leslie said...

Your sweet wife wasn't being considerate; she just thought the Drano had kicked in. Ditto on Bono's philosophy.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with your personal assessment of Mr. Paul Hewson. There are way too many contradictions in his life. Do not mistake the religious symbolism in his songs and socially conscious activism for a life transformed by Christ. (John 3:5-6)

U said...

It wasn't really an assessment of Bono himself. It was a comment on what he said about the spiritual life. I don't know Bono (or his heart) as well as you seem to so I'll hold off on determining whether his life has been transformed by Christ or not.

BR said...

Who's this "anonymous"? Doesn't even have the nerve to sign his own name to his disagreement...Anyhow, I am in the middle of that control-alt-delete and really loving it. You'd love all the open roads for cruising on that harley!