Friday, December 29, 2006

A Day Of Thanksgiving

Today is my birthday and I complete 50 years of existence. If I may quote the great actor Anthony Hopkins from one of my favorite movies , "50 years. Don't they go by in a blink?" They say 50 is the new 40, which I take it to mean with modern medicine being what it is, our life expectancy is longer. But we all know there are no guarantees. I've said this before to a few close friends and family, that I could die right now and I would die a very happy man.

I was born into the most loving family anyone could ever ask for. From my wife and kids, my mom and pop, two great brothers, down to the best cousins, aunts and uncles, I have a great family. I hope I can leave as big of a legacy of love that has been handed down to me from Mama Con, Papa Gume, Mama Catalina and Papa Oro. By God's grace, I also had the privilege to be part of the greatest, loving culture in the world: the Puerto Rican/Hispanic culture. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I live in a country where freedom, opportunity and prosperity abound. I live in exciting times and have seen much of the world through past employment.

Every night I get to sleep next to the love of my life, which God has blessed me with for over 32 years. That love and passion will never die. I have two children and a grandson who give me great joy and I love unconditionally.

I get paid for doing what I love. I've been given more material possessions and conveniences than I deserve.

I have the greatest group of friends. Not many but special, real people.

And best of all, I've been given the greatest gift of all: salvation through Christ, which ensures me eternity with my creator.

What more do I need? I am a blessed man.

They threw me a surprise birthday party tonight. Pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ron said...

El Primo mas maduro!

Ulyses Jr was the first of the Cardona cousins. He is the one that we all looked up to. I have great memories as a teenager going for a drive in his white Vega, swimming at the YMCA on Sunday afternoons, football games etc. My best memories are of course, our early zealous days of beginning a ministry. We had such passion to share our joy that we would even make tracks that resembled marijuana rolling paper to give to strangers on the street. He took a huge step of faith and began a Christian outreach coffeehouse ministry. Actually, I don’t think we ever served coffee. It was all about the sharing the gospel.

U Jr, is an intelligent thinker, a great listener, a gifted singer (he sang at my and many other weddings), a loyal family man, a real Christ follower and counselor. I was blessed to share several days alone with him this summer. I realized that even after all these years, I still look up to him in so many ways.

God Bless you as you turn 50 years old. No need to worry…..’cause EVERYTHING”S ALRIGHT!

Happy Birthday U.

Leslie said...

On behalf of your friends here at school, you are a priceless gift. Beyond what you do for us within your job description, you bring wisdom, laughter, and a glimpse of the risen Christ to our lives every day. We can't imagine ministering without you and praise God for the opportunity to walk with you in this journey. Happy birthday, friend.