Monday, July 23, 2007

Softball



Many years ago I was struggling with the hectic schedule of two kids in little league, a wife that wanted to play on the ladies’ church softball team and my own desire to play on the church’s men’s softball team. A wise mentor friend of mine took me aside and told me, “Tom, Let them play. These are the only years they will have the time or desire. You can play when you’re late into your fifties.”
Well he couldn’t have been more right. They played while I attended, cheered, drove around and supported all of them. This year was my turn. After a long absence, I (finally) enjoyed a season of Christian fellowship and good spirited competition with my church brothers.
Most of the games I never paid any mind to the score. I was having fun, running the bases making lucky catches and laughing at my own errors. And in the stands was my family cheering me on.
I played my final game a few days ago and I made some new friends. Hopefully next season my schedule will permit me to play again. Until then, I’ll put my softball gear back into the garage . . . and put my golf clubs into my trunk.

3 comments:

U said...

Dave's neighbor is sponsoring a team this winter where most of the team will consist of the extended Cardona Fam. My back is starting to already ache in anticipation...

Dave Cardona said...

It is a GREAT thing to put yourself after wife and kids!!! I am glad you got to play... being up north you season os very short. Here in FL we paly tear around. This fall, we will be playing and a U said... most of the tem will be Cardona's. Stay tuned for pictures!

Cardona21 said...

Gotta chime in on this one. I played little league, community league, Church league at Branch Comm. Church in PA. And the only reason I didn't play on the professional level was because I didn't hire Tio Gilberto as my agent.

For two years, I played for our church in Florida. My first year, 2004, I had a rather good year. The second year, 2005, I blew out my shoulder and my hammie. Last year, 2007, I took the entire year off, the mind said go, the body said "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN'"

This year, my beautiful wife, (Green Eyes) has me walking 3 night a week and I am trying to get in shape so I can play injury free.

Tom, you are correct, taking time and being on the sidelines for the kids is "PRICELESS". (This year I will be SCREAMING for Ryan as he plays football for the EAST RIDGE KNIGHTS) But actually playing and fellowshipping is also "PRICELESS".