Saturday, January 05, 2008

Reminiscing

Per the dictionary the word means: to recall past experiences, events, etc.; indulge in reminiscence. Ah, the daydreams that one has of fond things from the past. This is a pleasure that each of us goes through especially when we have moved to other places. I find myself reminiscing about my years in Pennsylvania. Aside from thinking about my family a lot, I miss going to Dorney and Hershey Parks and to Zern's and to Quakertown, and to. . .well you get the point. People think that I'm crazy because I have Disney World in my back yard. The truth of the matter is, one always misses what one does not have readily available or accessable. Although, with the prices on the Florida Theme Parks, I'll probably start reminiscing about them too in the near future. Parking alone has gone up to $10.00. Ridiculous right?

Sorry, I got side-tracked. As I was saying about reminiscing. . . somehow remembering foods always slips into my moments. I used to think about Rita's Waterice.










Now there are a few in our Sunshine State. I have visited two of them. Although a little far from our house, the trip was done with pleasure and well worth it I might add.
A few weeks ago after having my mouth water over the thought of pretzels. I found my Philly Pretzel Factory and fufilled the needs of my taste buds. What a moment! Nothing like a hot pretzel right out of the oven with some yellow mustard.












Today I had yet another Philly moment. I had a Philly Cheesteak sandwich. Boy oh boy, was it good! The sandwich was full of meat. It had soooo much cheese that it was seeping out through the side of the delicioso "Amorosa" bread. They bring in the bread, meats for their sandwiches, some bottles drinks, and chips from Philly. My next visit to this place will be for a hoagie! I didn't have my camara with me so here a picture of the menu instead:




















What those in PA would wonder is . . . What's the big deal about a photo of a menu. Ah, but what a treat for us "born-again Floridians". Those of us who reminisce about PA, but don't want to move back. We love the state, but our hearts are where the warm weather is. Those of us would notice the bottom of the menu. That right y'all,. It a TASTYKAKE pie!!!!! Oh yeah, and I ate the whole darn thing too.
What's next for the food hound. I don't know. Anyone for Yum-Yum donuts or sticky buns?

5 comments:

Thomas Rolon said...

It's funny how food bring us fond memories. I thinks it's how all the sences are utilized (taste, smell, touch etc). Keep them coming.

Ron said...

Yeah, it’s true. A lot of our memories make a connection to food.

Whenever I think of Titi Lydia, I always think about her making me, sorujitos. And of course her “spare” freezer filled with meats and frozen limbe.

God, I miss her!!!

Miriam said...

Funny you should mention my mom. I was actually thinking about her sorrullitos today. One thing I learned from her death is don't wait until they are gone to try and get the recipes right. If you have a special dish that you like, try and learn how to make them with that person that you prefer it from while there is still time. Don't forget that our elders did their food preping and cooking mostly from memory and practice. Do not let our traditions die.

I've actually been able to recreate most of her recipes. Including the pasteles, arroz con dulce, the sorrullitos, etc. The sad thing is that I don't make them as much because of my diabetes. If I did, I'd probably be overdosing a lot on the carbs. Yeah, that puertorrican diet can do that to you.

U said...

OK. That settles it. Everybody at Miriam's next week to wolf down the food she can't eat. Hey, I'm only trying to help :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess Titi Lydia made sorullitos for all of us. Nair and I were thinking of them the other day. Miriam, send over the recipe!