Thursday, August 02, 2007

Senses



When you hear a conversation about which of the 5 senses you would never want to lose, it usually comes down to sight or hearing. No one wants to lose those. While I’m not ready to choose between the two, I would like to acknowledge a sense that, in my opinion, is often underrated: the sense of smell. I think it’s overlooked because you can probably live a somewhat normal life without it. But my…. The things you would miss out on.

Let me say that I love the things that stimulate my sense of smell. A few months ago I purchased a few of these at Pier 1 imports. I’ve got one in my office at home and one right next to my bed. I also ran out and bought bunch of Indian incenses. I burn them every once in a while when I need a nose fix.

A short list of a few things that rock my nose:

- burning leaves in the fall
- a freshly cut lawn
- thanksgiving morning at my house
- my wife’s hair
- snow. OK, this is a little weird but I can smell snow. But only after a big snow storm. After the cars and peeing dogs take over, it's gone.
- bacon cooking
- freshly baked bread in a bakery (especially in Puerto Rico). When my kids we young (heck, i still do it) we would be driving down Interstate 4 and pass the Merita Bakery. Regardless of the weather we would roll the window down and catch a whiff. We would do the same thing when we'd pass our favorite BarBQ place here in town: Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ (what a great name). Oh yeah, BarBQ joints.

Strangely, I also enjoy the smell of the following:
- gasoline. I wouldn't run out and purchase Gasoline cologne but I can tolerate pumpin' gas and catchin' a whiff of the stuff. I remember driving to the Philly airport years ago and rolling the windows down as we passed the oil refineries.
- hot tar. I should of been a roofer cause I love this smell. I think it has to do with the memories it evokes in me of my younger days in Philly.

Before I leave this strange post allow me to vent about the things that are torture to my sense of hearing:
- a vacuum cleaner
- a bathroom fan or the fan that sits over our stove
- the dishwasher
- screeching brakes
- people that talk too much. Shuddup already.

OK. I will. But one more thing.

I was asking Dave one day what is the sound that he likes to hear and without missing a beat he had the exact same answer as me: the sound of our wives' laughter.
Dave, I hope that doesn't mess up your tough guy image.
I know, I know... that's crap!

4 comments:

patti said...

I think this is my favorite post that you have ever written since i started reading your blog! I love it! I totally get the gasoline thing...I love it...its something about the chemically strong smell that I like. Other smells that I love, the smell of laundry that has been dried outside on the line, that muddy rain smell,the smell of coffee grounds when you open a fresh can, the smell of a summer night when the window is open, and the old perfume called Arden Blue from Elizabeth Arden (they dont make it anymore)
Annoying sound...nails on a chalkboard.

Dave Cardona said...

You make a lot of good points! Let me add some sound I would also miss... the sound of an engine kicking over and starting, after working on it for 5 days... the sound of an power drill... the slap of a belly flop...

OK.... smell.... the smell of walking into Papa Gume's outside latrine... The smell of hugging Mama Con... the smell of philly cheese steaks.

Roses in December said...

I would have to say the smell of coffee first thing in the morning, now I know you don't drink coffee, but "it's the bests Jerry, It's the best!. And U, how can you smell any other smell over all the cologne you wear? It's a wonder? You and Gus were a pair of PR's at OCS. Smell ya a mile a way. Not that it was bad. And I know why you like the burning leaves smell! :) B

Vicki said...

I'm with you. Scent is the strongest memory evoking trigger there is. Not too long ago I was outside just before a huge thunderstorm descended upon us. The smell of rain was so thick in the air... it immediately propelled me to the glorious thunderstorms of my childhood on the west coast of Florida. Amazing.

I also give a hearty "amen" to the irritating noise of bathroom and kitchen fans and appliances! Agh! Noise assault.

Thanks for making me smile.