Thursday, August 23, 2007

Stripping it all away

A friend recently recalled how great of an experience it was to see Tiger Woods in person. He almost described as a religious experience: Tiger the Messiah.
It got me to thinking how we come to almost idolize certain professions/people in our culture and ignore, or at least belittle, others. On lists that come up on a yearly basis you're more likely to find actors, athletes, politicians, models, people in the music industry (I’d call them musicians but nowadays most of them don't even play an instrument) then you are doctors, clergy, teachers or scientists. When you think about it, what do these people really do that merit the kind of adulation or awe they receive from us?

Professional Athletes
When you strip away all the hype, these athletes are known for hitting a small ball into a cup, throwing/kicking a ball more accurate and or faster/farther than anyone else, running faster or riding a bike/automobile faster than anyone else. At the end of their lives, for the most part, they will be remembered for playing a game better than anyone else.

Actors
Take away the PR machine, the magazines, entertainment shows and what are you left with? You have individuals whose calling in life is trying to act like somebody else. But wait. Can they act like whomever they choose? No, no, no. They are handed a script and told who they must act like for this role. Then they are told what to say, how to dress and we are to stand. And if they do it wrong they must do it again and again and again until they got it right. It's no wonder these people are always telling others what to do. They have so little control over their own lives. I’m not trying to minimize what they do. I just don't think entertainers should be placed so high on a pedestal. Save the pedestal for teachers, doctors, scientists, writers, parents and people who lead you into the kingdom of God.

At the end of my life I do not want to be remembered for playing a game or entertaining people, no matter how good I am at it. I'd like to be remembered as a pilgrim who loved his maker with all his heart, mind, and soul. I'm not there yet but I'm keeping my eye on the prize. In the meantime I'd like to take as many people with me. What greater gift is there than sharing your bread with a fellow beggar and pointing him toward the bakery. Let the others play their games, entertain and chase the wind.
This place is not our home. We’re just passing through. Make your life count.

This will be my last personal post on this blog. This blog was originally created for the extended Cardona family so that we can keep in touch with each other. On more than one occasion I've posted items that had more to do with me than the family. Sometimes I feel like I'm hogging up the space so I've opened up a personal blog. I will continue to post family items on this blog but the personal stuff I'll post on the other one. There will be times where I will probably double post. Copy and paste is a beautiful thing. For convenience sake there will be a link on the right hand side of this page for easy access.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: