Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sopa de Pollo



I have been intrigued by these books for along time. Not because of their contents (since I've never read any of them), but because of the wide selection of titles offered. For example:

Chicken Soup for the Women Golfer's Soul
Chicken Soup for the Scrapbooker's Soul (I gave this one to my wife)
Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II (Yes, Part II)
Chicken Soup for the Soul in Menopause (not kidding)
Chicken Soup for the Left-Handed Helicopter Mechanic from New Jersey. (OK I made that last one up, but it wouldn't surprised me if it was being published as we speak.)

This one Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul caught my attention for a number of reasons. One, it was on the 50% off shelf at the Provident Bookstore. Two, My first reaction was "you've got to be kidding" and three, I really expected a over dramatized, self-pity, "we have overcome" bunch of stories. I WAS WRONG. What a wonderfully unique collection of funny, touching and personal anecdotes. Written in Spanglish and bilingualisms, it really captures the heart of the reader in a way that brings a familiar knowing nod.

Some of my favorite stories talk about the bendicion, chuletas & pateles, parents illiteracy, "my fundillo", a mother's wedding ring, a cartoon called "No Rodeo", and stories of Juan Bobo. I like the way that there's Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican and Dominican authors, and even a few who don't seem to be Latino. I am not finished with the book yet but I am savoring every page. Don't let me oversell this book. It's not life-changing-Pulitzer Prize winning-can't put it down quality but I recommend it. It will warm your heart just as much, if not more, than your mom's Sopa de Pollo.
Muy bien hecho.

2 comments:

U said...

I'm buying the book just because it has fundillo in it. Great post, Tom.

Anonymous said...

thanks for recomend this book.
I'm trying to find it. I'm
sure is a good one.