Saturday, July 15, 2006

Back Home

Boy. I really didn’t realize how much I’d missed my honey. The flight yesterday was non-eventful (I heard Ron’s flight was delayed 4 hours today L ). Laurie was there to pick me up. The Orlando airport is near Cocoa Beach so we headed straight there (she had a rough week). We spent a few hours there then came home. I hadn’t gotten any sleep the night before, worrying about missing my flight, so I was shot. We came home and both crashed. Recovering today…

The trip to PR was close to perfect. The only thing missing was the rest of the group. If you guys would’ve been there it would have been perfect. It was however a perfect balance of family time in San Sebastian and touristy stuff sprinkled throughout the rest of the island. I returned with a deep appreciation for the island and all its beauty and an even deeper appreciation for the sacrifice Papa Gume made in purchasing that piece of land. I know some of you will differ with me on this but I returned wanting to build something there. None of us will probably ever live there but there are other options. More thoughts on that at a later time.

Ron was the perfect travel companion. His knowledge of the island and his easy going style made it a real pleasure. Besides our initial meeting, we were amazed at how much we had in common. We have the same taste in clothes, music, movies, jokes (I’m still laughing at the 3 mice in a bar), share the same world view and we both ride Kawasaki Vulcan 500s (that one was really weird. We didn’t even know each other rode a cycle). I guess it should come as no surprise. We have the same blood. For those outside the family, Ron’s mom is my dad’s sister and my mom is his dad’s brother.

I was so happy to see Tony and his family. It had been way to long. I got to know Jessica, Manny, Lisette and Cristina a little better. The horseback riding excursion was a blast.
Tony: you’ve got a great family. Hope to hear your thoughts on the trip. I also enjoyed seeing Jinnie’s family again. We had visited them a few times over the years in Atlanta. It’s amazing how much they had grown. Geeeez. Now I sound like an old fart. We had a great time running into town and visiting Pop’s favorite ice cream shop. I really enjoyed talking with 9 year old Emaly. It was like I was talking to an adult. Very sharp girl. By the way, Irving and Jinnie have purchased and are running an Italian restaurant near Atlanta. You can check it out here. As always, Paul, Titi Ema and Tio Manual were the perfect hosts. I look forward to coming back.

Before I forget, belated birthday wishes (July 14) go out to Annette, Tom's wife.

I leave you with more pictures from the trip. Tony took these. Don't forget to click the pictures for a bigger image.

Desparados



Ron with Cristina


Quick!
Can you spot the horses' ass in this picture?
That's right! It's the guy checking email from his phone.





2 comments:

Leslie said...

I am laughing crying at you checking your e-mail on a horse! You kill me, cowboy!

Granny & Gramps said...

Wow,that restaurant that you talked about Tomatoz is close to my sister in Roswell, we will have to go check it out Ulyses when we go to the BIG city sometime. Nick & Brenda