Monday, July 24, 2006

Dog Day Sunday


I am going on 2 years as a motorcycle rider. When I first started I had many people kind of roll their eyes and say “Oh.. going through a mid life crisis, eh?” and I’d say “Bug off and mind your own business! "No." There are two reasons I started to ride: I was looking for an inexpensive means of transportation and, like my canine friends (actually I don't care for them), I love the wind in my hair face.

Sunday I fell into a bit of a funk so I took to the highway and took the 1 hour trip to visit Dave, Chick and Mom & Pop. When I left it was a picture perfect Florida day. The sun was out, sky was clear and the track was fast. Again, there is nothing quite as satisfying as feeling the wind in your face. My helmet has a little plastic windshield but I never use it. This time I took the backroads which winds it's way through farm land and has very few lights. It was very good for the soul. Halfway there storm clouds rolled in. Well, this is Florida where the official state motto for the summer is "Don't like the weather? Wait an hour. It'll change." Lucky for me I had my rain suit. Actually it's one of those inexpensive (I'm cheap. Dave's my brother) vinyl sweat suits I bought at Kmart for $6. Hey, I keeps me dry. I pulled over, put on the suit and off I went. 15 minutes from Dave's house the rain stops and the sun comes out. OK. Do i pull over again and take it off or do I suffer with the weird looks I'm getting? I'll take it off. Got to Dave's house. Nobody home. On to Chick's house. 20 minute ride. I swear, five minutes before I get to Chick's house it starts to rain. "@*&% Well, praise the Lord for the rain." Got a little damp but arrived in one piece. Hung out for little bit, installed a new network card in Mom's PC then headed back over to Dave's house.

Dave and Chick helped pull me out of my funk. They've got the storytelling gift. So does my mom. Mom was the best storyteller. When I was young we'd be in the car taking a long trip (to Philly, El Campo) and she would start talking. Everything was a story. Most of the time she'd be talking to someone else (another adult in the car) but I would just sit there building pictures in my mind with her words. My brothers have stories too. Some are mundane, some are funny but they're all interesting. Me and Pop have another gift. We listen. Anyway, we hung out for a while then came back to Pop's house. Had dinner with them and by now it was close to 6:30. Time to go. Of course it starts to rain. I am not putting this suit on again. 5 minutes it stops and I am a happy dog again.


1 comment:

Thomas Rolon said...

Gucci Model.
World Traveler.
Biker-man with Dog-like Funk.
Ulyses Cardona, you ARE a Renaissance Man.